Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thumb Flagging

Author:Jerome Peterson
Genre: Travel/adventure

Bohemian Bum, Hippie Hobo, traveler within the American illusion of freedom. Thumb Flagging is a story of hitchin’ cross country, jumpin’ trains and hoping for the thousand dollar ride. Willy is the worldly philosopher with seemingly no roots, free and ready to hit the road. Jay is the innocent; tentative and afraid, insecure and easily led. Willy talks Jay into dumping their jobs for a few day and heading from sunny Arizona to visit Jay’s sister in Colorado, an easy trip unless your thumb flagging. Jay reluctantly agrees to the adventure and enters an entirely new world; the world of the footloose and free Bohemian Bum.

Yes, this is a story about hitchhiking, but it is more as well. It’s about one man’s growth, it’s about philosophy, it’s about psychology and sociology, and ultimately, it’s a love story. Peterson is able to wrap in about every human emotion and deal with them realistically. Jay starts out as the reluctant and fearful traveler and finishes his personal journey as king of the road. You see his strength and confidence build and feel him develop and confirm his morals and sense of place, all while friends, enemies and chance acquaintances spin in and out of his life. That’s the story of the road, a story that crisscrosses the country from Arizona to Colorado then California and all the way to Main and back.

What made the story most interesting to me was the cross section of society Jay encounters. We all have our impressions and prejudices when we see a thumb flagger. And, though our preconceived notions may be right or way wrong, this book takes you in an entirely different direction. It isn’t the hitcher that’s interesting; it’s the people that are compelled to pick them up. The sad, the disaffected, the do-gooders and the crazies, when a car stops you never know what you’ll get. And when you get that “thousand dollar ride,” it’s all worthwhile.

This is an interesting read, well written and a story with many lessons if you will let them in.

Reviewed by Allbooks reviewer Gregory J. Saunders www.allbookreviews.com

Publisher: Eloquent Books
ISBN 978-1-60693-750-1
Price $32.50 US
Oct. 2009

Allbooks Reviews INTERVIEW: (Please put your answers in black)

Please state your name and location. (city and State or Province, Country)

Jerome Peterson Sonora, CA USA

Tell us the title and publisher of your book:

Thumb Flagging Eloquent Books an imprint of AEG Publishing Group

Tell us about yourself: I dabble in writing songs, articles, poetry, and short stories; but, my passion is novels. I carry a pocket notebook and pen everywhere I go, including to work. I’m constantly writing down character images, phrases, or plot ideas that strike me. I enjoy arts of all kind. When I’m not writing I sketch I compose instrumentals on my guitar, as well as vocal songs; although I don’t sing as well as I would like to. Other interests I have are reading, spirituality, stargazing, gardening and houseplants, baseball, and sailing. I’m 52 years old and have been married for thirty years.

When was the book released? March, 2009

Give us an overview of your book. By looking at the cover and title the reader assumes it is about hitchhiking. It definitely is about hitchhiking, but there so much more. Thumb Flagging is a coming of age story about a young man who loses his identity only to find it. The unconventional part is that the main character takes to the road to accomplish this goal; unknowingly using the rides and people he meets to show him his shortcomings, and to teach him truth. Also thrown into the pot of character adjustments, are a couple of mysterious stalkers, a canine companion, and other suspenseful encounters that sharpen the main characters perception; as well as, spirituality, philosophy, psychology, sociology, and of course love. I believe the loneliness for love is the strongest force in the book that carries the main character through his misfortunes and ultimately helps him fulfill his goal of a new identity.

What inspired you to write this book? My wife and I were sitting around recalling our youthful travels. As we shared unique hitchhiking stories the idea to write a book about the adventures came to me. I didn’t want it to be totally true life so I meshed my imagination in order to develop compelling characters and an intriguing plot. There are actually a lot of dull hours on the road and of course I didn’t want to write about those times.

How is your book different from other books in this genre? I believe Thumb Flagging would be categorized as a road adventure. It is different from other books in this genre because it deals with so many emotions from hate to love. It also deals with how to handle or accept these emotions by simply applying silly therapies to genuine that work if followed through with.

Where can people buy your book? www.eloquentbooks.com/thumbflagging; Amazon. Com; Barnes and Noble, Borders, and Goodreads. My blog also list many other online venues. My blog is thumbflagging.blogspot.com.

Are you working on another book? If so when do you expect it to be published? Yes. The first of 2010.

If you self published, what advice can you give to fellow writers?

If published traditionally, tell us how you benefited: I benefited by the overwhelming support and the ability of working with a publishing group that persuade people that I don’t see and go places I can’t.

Can you share one of your marketing successes with us? I don’t have any as of yet.

How did you find Allbooks Reviews and what are you hoping for in your relationship with us? A site I follow called, “The Verb”, passed on a list of book reviewers. Allbooks Reviews was basically at the top of the list. I was very impressed with the services that they offer.

Was the low cost a surprise? What other things would you like Allbooks Reviews to offer writers? Yes it was.

Thank you for this interview and best of luck with your book. You are welcome. And thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment